Sunday, March 29, 2015

Karneval Volume 1

This is a review for Karneval volume 1 by Touya Mikanagi.
I gave this book ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 5 stars, I loved it.

Nai is an incredibly innocent, naive, childlike teen.  He has very little understanding of the world around him.  Basic things that we are know are lost on him, like what blood is, how money works, that not everyone he meets is going to be nice.

Gareki is a very angry teenager.  The world has treated him badly and in response he has grown bitter, sarcastic and rude.  He has a talent for shooting guns and making bombs.

Gareki meets Nai when he breaks into a mansion where Nai is being held captive.   Garkei agrees to take Nai with him in exchange for the bracelet he has.  Nai's naivety gets the duo into a few scrapes on their way out of town and Gareki can barely keep them a step ahead of the Peacekeepers.  They board a train out of town and land in a hostage situation where they catch the interest of the hostages and the government agents, Circus, that step on and save them. 

I knew that I would love this manga before I bought it.  I watched the anime as it came out each week last year.  I bought the anime as soon as it was released in the US.  I had to visit 3 stores before I was able to track down the manga but it was worth it!  This volume contains the first two Japanese volumes.

This manga has a wide cast of characters.  Nai and Gareki are just the tip of the iceburg.  From the bright, beautiful whimsical Circus people to the dark and deadly Varuga there is a lot of variety and definitely something for everyone to love!  The world is rich in detail, the plot is intriguing and you never know exactly what to expect.

Now that I have the manga and the anime all I need is a sheep plushie to cuddle while I read.  I would also love a sheep robot, or a dozen of them, if anyone wants to make one for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment