Sunday, April 12, 2015

Doubt Volume 1

This is a review for Doubt Volume 1 by Yoshiki Tonogai.
I gave this book ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 4 stars, I liked it a lot.

"One day a wolf snuck into a tight-knit colony of rabbits."
Six players of the mobile game 'Rabbit Doubt' decide to have an offline meeting.  They end up locked in a warehouse with a corpse.  Now they have to play the game for real and find the real wolf hiding among them before the wolf devours them all.

I have to admit, I wasn't especially intrigued by this story line.  Locked room murders just aren't that interesting to me.  The plots are predictable and the characters always make the same mistakes.   

I was very pleasantly surprised by this one.  The premise may be nothing new but the way it is played out is new and exciting.  The characters don't make the same old mistakes as every other locked room murder story.   The characters are interesting and the farther you read the more depth they gain.  It was interesting to see the way they change and grow, it isn't always what you expect of them.  The warehouse is an interesting choice of locations, though it may not actually be a warehouse.  It has some rather interesting features for a standard warehouse.  Each clue they unlock keeps you wanting to read more.  The reader is just as in the dark about the identity of the murderer as the characters are.  Every time I think I have it figured out I am almost immediately proven wrong.

The only criticism I have is the pace of the story.  The pace is pretty fast.  Things are happening quickly without giving the players or the reader much time to digest the events.  The bodies are piling up and accusations are flying fast.  

I recommend this book to anyone who isn't squeamish about blood and murder.  I can't wait to start reading the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment